Welcome to the 1st edition of Crochet In The News with David Thrift at DudeCapz.com and DudeCapz Beanie Store.
Crocheting has been a part of my every day living off and on throughout my life since childhood. I am happy that I have the opportunity to have access to electronic devices and technology (my smartphone, laptop, and internet) that enable me to search and find out what’s going on in the world of crochet, and collect links to the news to share with you.
Here are the news links related to crochet that I have for you in this edition of Crochet In The News.
001. Crochet Art Is Creative Self-Care for Surf City Woman – By Kirsten Garino – July 08, 2021 – EXCERPT: A large afghan mandala hangs on the wall of crochet artist Diana Holland’s Surf City home, spiraling outward in a stunning array of color, texture and pattern. Holland took a year to complete the mandala, and it sits proudly in a permanent spot beside the other crocheted blankets, decorations and dolls she’s made over the years. – Full story – https://www.thesandpaper.net/articles/crochet-art-is-creative-self-care-for-surf-city-woman/
002. Tom Daley: ‘I took up crochet during the pandemic’ – By Nick Mcgrath – Sat 17 Jul 2021 09.00 EDT – The diver, 27, talks about fear on the diving board, marrying an older man, becoming a father and maintaining his six-pack. – EXCERPT: I’ve always been an adrenaline seeker. I love rollercoasters, waterslides – diving is an extension of that. I grew up by the sea in Plymouth. From an early age my parents encouraged my brothers and me to swim in case we got into trouble in the water. Diving gives me that mix of being in the water, but at the same time the adrenaline rush of jumping off something really high. Full story – https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jul/17/this-much-i-know-tom-daley-on-coming-out-becoming-a-father-and-keeping-that-six-pack
003. The 6 Best iPhone Apps for Knitting & Crochet Enthusiasts – By: Brad R. Edwards – Saturday, June 17th, 2021 – Take your knitting or crocheting hobby to the next level with these useful (and mostly free) iPhone apps. – EXCERPT: Knitting and crocheting is a pretty niche hobby these days. Hobbies that can be performed purely with your hands seem detached from the rise of smartphones. But in fact, this couldn’t be further from the truth. – Full story – https://www.makeuseof.com/knitting-crochet-apps-iphone/
004. 10 Types of Crochet Stitches and Styles To Try [Infographic] – By Jessica Stewart on July 2, 2021 – EXCERPT: The word crochet comes from the French term, which means “little hook.” Given the tools used in this textile art, the name makes sense. Using a hook and yarn or thread, you can crochet endless accessories. Whether it be mittens, blankets, baskets, or handbags, there are countless possibilities. This needlecraft is a cousin of knitting, with a key difference being that crochet mainly works with closed stitches while knitting keeps stitches open. – Full Story – https://mymodernmet.com/types-of-crochet-infographic/
005. Crochet, you stay: Why this old craft has millennial makers hooked – July 16th, 2021 – By: Amanda T Lago – In the middle of a pandemic, young people are turning to an unexpected hobby. – Full story – https://www.rappler.com/life-and-style/arts-culture/crochet-comeback-philippines-covid-19-pandemic
006. Military Minute: Crochet Dragons – Posted: Jul 12, 2021 12:37 PM EDT – PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) – Naval Weapons Station Culinary Specialist, Second Class, David Ackley is providing comfort for children receiving treatment at Langley Air Force Base Hospital with his crocheted creations. – Full story – https://www.wavy.com/hr-show/military-minute-crochet-dragons/
007. It’s the It knit of the summer, but how do you actually wear crochet? – By: Chloe Street. Crochet is the stealth sexy trend to know and it’s coming to a green list beach near you. It’s a hole thing, says Chloe Street. – EXCERPT: When model of the moment Paloma Elsesser opened New York label Eckhaus Latta’s spring/summer 21 show wearing a skirt that appeared to be patchworks of doilies, it became instantly clear that crafty crochetcore was about to have a moment. – Full story – https://www.standard.co.uk/insider/fashion/crochet-trend-summer-2-021-b945920.html
008. Pokemon Fan is Crocheting Every Pokemon – By: Brendan Dick – June 28th, 2021 – In lieu of catching them all, one Pokemon fan has opted to make stuffed crochet plushies of every single Pokemon on the roster. – EXCERPT: The Pokemon franchise currently boasts almost 900 total Pokemon. For even the most dedicated Pokemon trainers, that’s a lot to collect, but one fan has undertaken an even more ambitious goal of creating amigurumi—stuffed crochet plushies—of all existing Pokemon. – Full story – https://gamerant.com/pokemon-crochet/
009. Art beyond the ‘Stitches’ – EXCERPT: The common thought about stitching is, it’s simply a way to mend a garment, sew a dress, or embroider a pillowcase, says Emily Marks. But the craft moves into the realm of art with the group show “Stitches: Outside the Lines.” The creative take on fiber art opens August 5 with an evening reception at the Sonoma Community Center. – Full story – https://sonomasun.com/2021/07/18/art-beyond-the-stitches/
010. Stassie Karanikolaou Flaunts Her Bombshell Body In Sexy White Crochet Set – By: Alisan Duran Posted on June 28, 2021 at 7:40 AM – EXCERPT: Stassie Karanikolaou delighted her 10.6 million Instagram fans late Sunday, June 27, when she took to her page to share two sexy snapshots of herself rocking a revealing crochet set that flaunted her insanely toned physique. – Full story – https://theblast.com/73661/stassie-karanikolaou-flaunts-her-bombshell-body-in-sexy-white-crochet-set/
That’s it for this edition of Crochet In The News with David Thrift at DudeCapz.com and DudeCapz Beanie Store. Look for another issue bringing you the best articles related to crocheting soon.