Welcome to the 3rd edition of Crochet In The News with David Thrift at DudeCapz.com and DudeCapz Beanie Store.
Crocheting has been a part of my every day living off and on throughout my life since childhood. I am happy that I have the opportunity to have access to electronic devices and technology (my smartphone, laptop, and internet) that enable me to search and find out what’s going on in the world of crochet, and collect links to the news to share with you.
Here are the news links related to crochet that I have for you in this edition of Crochet In The News.
001. TV star. Lover of crochet. And now after four Olympics, Tom Daley has elusive gold medal – By: Ben Morse – July 26th, 2021 – EXCERPT: He’s a TV star and a lover of crochet. And now at his fourth Olympics, Tom Daley is finally an Olympic gold medal winner. – Full story – https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/26/sport/tom-daley-matty-lee-diving-olympic-gold-spt-intl/index.html
002. Great Britain’s Tom Daley Knitted a Pouch for His Olympic Gold Medal – The cutest thing you’ll see today. – By: Lucy Ford – July 28th, 2021 – EXERPT: British diver Tom Daley has figured out an innovative way to keep his Olympic gold medal safe – and he has made it himself. – Full story – https://www.teenvogue.com/story/team-gb-tom-daley-tokyo-2020-olympic-gold-medal-pouch
003. Tom Daley: last Olympic chance for teenage sensation turned crocheter – By: Donald McRae – July 25th, 2021 – EXCERPT: Tom Daley was only 13 the first time I interviewed him in April 2008. “He is small and smiley,” I wrote, “with flashing braces on his teeth and an engaging way of setting you at ease within minutes of meeting him. He likes playing on the Wii far more than football and, one day, he wouldn’t mind becoming a Blue Peter presenter. In the meantime Daley is the new European diving champion who takes his lucky monkey with him wherever he competes around the world.” – Full story – https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/25/tom-daley-last-olympic-chance-for-teenage-sensation-turned-crocheter
004. In Wholesome News, Tom Daley Crocheted a Cozy Little Sweater Pouch For His Gold Medal – By: Karenna Meredith – July 28th, 2021 – EXCERPT: Tom Daley’s first Olympic gold medal will be kept safe and sound until he returns home from Tokyo. After Daley and his diving partner, Matty Lee, took home the top prize for their synchronized 10-meter platform diving on July 26, the 27-year-old diver ensured his valuable accolade would have a special home. In fact, Daley created one with his own two hands when he crocheted a cozy little sweater pouch to protect his medal from scratches or dings. – Full story – https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/tom-daley-crochet-gold-medal-pouch-48439726
005. Nurses crochet sweet Olympics gear for babies born amid Tokyo games – By: Jeanette Settembre – St. Lukes Hospital in Kansas City, Missouri, is celebrating newborns on an Olympic level with crocheted medals and athlete-inspired attire for babies born during the Tokyo Olympics after the opening ceremony officially kicked off Friday. – Full story – https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/nurses-crochet-olympics-gear-babies-born-tokyo-games
006. Gallery Stratford’s Steelbox Art Lab reopens with Crochet Coral Reef Project – By: Cory Smith – Sunday, August 1st, 2021 – EXCERPT: Gallery Stratford’s Steelbox Art Lab has reopened its doors with the Stratford Crochet Coral Reef Project, the first exhibit since 2019 inside the cozy shipping container beside the YMCA. – Full story – https://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com/news/local-news/gallery-stratfords-steelbox-art-lab-reopens-with-crochet-coral-reef-project
Here are some other Crochet In The News Links from the 2nd edition of this series:
001. Kansas City nurses crochet mini Olympic outfits for newborns – By: Skyler Rivera – Friday, July 23rd, 2021 – EXCERPT: Nurses at Saint Luke’s Health System in Kansas City, Missouri hand-crocheted adorable mini uniforms for its own Olympic opening ceremony featuring the hospital’s newest babies and their families. Full story – https://www.fox29.com/news/kansas-city-nurses-crochet-mini-olympic-outfits-for-newborns
002. Shakira Stuns In Tiny Crochet Bikini On Surfboard, “I’ll Give You Some Legs” – Friday, July 23rd, 2021 – EXCERPT: International pop star Shakira released her new English single “Don’t Wait Up” with a video that features her laying on a surfboard in a tiny string bikini. – Full story – https://2paragraphs.com/2021/07/shakira-stuns-in-tiny-crochet-bikini-on-surfboard-ill-give-you-some-legs/
003. ‘Needing attention’: Billie Piper sets pulses racing in a skimpy crochet co-ord as she snaps sultry selfies – By Ella Hodson For Mailonline 12:17 EDT 23 July 2021 – EXCERPT: Billie Piper admitted she was ‘needing attention’ as she shared a set of sultry Instagram snaps on Friday. – Full story – https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9818745/Billie-Piper-wears-multi-coloured-crochet-two-piece-Instagram.html
004. Crochet shorts for men are now officially a thing! – By: Anusha J – June 24th, 2021 – EXCERPT: In a world that demands we conform to a monochromatic life, it is quite a feat to splash it with color. A fun way to bring this color into your life is by incorporating crocheted shorts into your wardrobe. Sure, it does not make for the best office wear but it would make for the best outfit if you want to be the life of the party over the weekend or when you can finally go to Coachella again. Not only do crocheted shorts make a great fashion statement, but they are also good for the environment. Who knew? Especially the ones handmade shorts by Lord von Schmitt. – Full story – https://meaww.com/crochet-shorts-for-men-are-now-officially-a-thing-and-they-are-colorful-and-comfortable
That’s it for this edition of Crochet In The News with David Thrift at DudeCapz.com and DudeCapz Beanie Store. Look for another issue bringing you the best articles related to crocheting soon.